Greek Islands Travel Planning is the summary of my three weeks travel to three Greek islands during the summer of 2016 (July). The pace of traveling was slow, in accordance with the flexibility I had to go wherever I wanted with my car.
Greek Islands Travel Planning – General Planning:
Travel Planning for the Greek Islands of Thasos, Lemnos, and Samothraki started somewhere around one month before my trip. I used an old Lonely Planet Guide to get some names of places that worth to go to. As I was going with my own car, I didn’t bother too much with the plans. I was flexible to go, stop, and stay wherever I wanted. I only searched for camping places on the ACSI Campings website and saved some print screens with the locations of all the official camping sites from the region.
Greek Islands Travel Planning – Fixed Plans:
Greek Islands Travel Planning – Intentions, but nothing fixed:
When I left for the Greek Islands, all I knew was that I wanted to go but hadn’t fixed dates for:
– go to Thasos Island, probably from Kavala Port
– go to Lemnos Island but had no idea from where (I was hoping for a ferry between Thasos and Lemnos)
– go to Samothraki Island but had no idea from where (I was hoping for a ferry between Lemnos and Samothraki)
Greek Islands Travel Planning – Final Result:
The final result of my trip to the Greek Islands, where I stayed for three weeks, is a series of three travel diaries, which you can read at the following links.
Thassos Island (6-8 days):
- two days driving from Romania to Greece, crossing Bulgaria (via Sibiu – Calafat – Sofia – Kulata – Kavala)
- ferry from Kavala port to Skala Prinos, on Thassos Island, and beach in Ormos Prinos
- road trip from Ormos Prinos to Pefkari (with lots of detours), via Ormos Prinos – Skala Prinos – Rahoni – Agios Georgios – Prinos – Moni Agios Panteleimonos – Mikros Prinos – Skala Sotiros – Skala Kallirachis – Kallirachi – Skala Marion – Pefkari
- road trip from Pefkari, via Limenaria – Moni Karakallou – Maries – Limenaria – Potos – Theologos – Pefkari
- road trip from Pefkari to Chryssi Ammoudia (with lots of stops), via Pefkari – Moni Archangelou – Aliki – Loutra – Kinyra – Potamia – Panagia – Chryssi Ammoudia
- road trip from Chryssi Ammoudia, via Thassos town – Marble Beach (Saliria and Porto Vathi) – Chryssi Ammoudia
- ferry from Thassos town to Keramoti and one day relax in Camping Batis Multiplex, Kavala
The version in Romanian can be found at Insulele Grecesti, Thassos.
Lemnos Island (5 days):
- ferry from Kavala to Myrina, on Lemnos Island, and beach at Keros
- road trip on the eastern side of Lemnos Island (with lots of detours), via Keros Beach – Kalliopi – Panagia – Plaka – Port Plakas – Sanctuary of Kabeiroi – Antic Theater of Hephaistia – Kontopouli – Romanou – Poliohni neolithic site – Skandali – Fisini – Moni Agios Sozon Monastery – Moudros – Keros Beach
- road trip on the western side of Lemnos Island (with lots of detours), via Keros Beach – Kontopouli – Romanou – Portianos – Kontias – Nevgatis Beach – Thanos – Myrina – Kaspakes – Dafni – Atsiki – Kotsinas Beach – Keros Beach
- extra visit in Myrina – Gomati Beach and stay there overnight
- Gomati Beach to Myrina, ferry from Myrina (Lemnos Island) to Kavala and highway from kavala to Alexandroupolis
The version in Romanian can be found at Insulele Grecesti, Lemnos.
Samothraki Island (5 days):
- ferry from Alexandroupolis to Kamariotissa and road trip via Hora – Paleopolis – Camping Varades 1 – Fonias River (and vathres) – Kipos Beach
- road trip from Varades Camping 1, via the archaeological site in Paleopolis – Hora – Alonia – Lakoma – Profitis Ilias – Xiropotamos (vathres) – Pahia Ammos Beach – Camping Varades 1
- Camping Varades 1 – Therma – Kamariotissa – Camping Varades 1
- Camping Varades 2 – Hora – Therma (bouzouki concert)
- ferry from Kamariotissa to Alexandroupolis and afternoon at the beach of the municipal camping
- one day driving from Greece to Romania, crossing Bulgaria (via Alexandroupolis – Veliko Trnovo – Russe – Bucharest)
The version in Romanian can be found at Insulele Grecesti, Samothraki.