Jordan Travel Planning is the summary of my five weeks trip to Jordan during the autumn of 2017 (October and a bit of November). The pace of traveling was slow, in accordance with the flexibility I had to go and stay wherever I wanted with a rented car.
Jordan Travel Planning – General Planning:
My travel planning for Jordan started two months before the trip. I used the Lonely Planet Guide and also read some articles about Jordan on the internet. I considered that the guide book offered me enough, very well synthesized information to plan my trip. From the guide book, I could choose the places where I wanted to go during a period of five weeks – touristic places, UNESCO heritage sites, as well as off the beaten track places.
Jordan Travel Planning – Fixed Plans:
Before leaving to Jordan, I had booked/contacted hosts for most of my trip (80-90 %) because I considered that the prices I get on the internet are better than what I would find there in the last minute (and in the middle of the tourist season):
– my flight ticket, which I bought almost two months in advance
– my car, which I booked a few days after buying my flights tickets
– accommodations in Amman, Madaba, Wadi Musa (Petra), and near Jerash (I could have canceled most of them for free up to a few days before my arrival, so I was still a bit flexible)
– a driver from the hotel where I was staying in Amman waited for me at the airport
– a couple of CouchSurfing contacts who could have helped me with information, accommodation, and phone calls if anything happened to me in Jordan during my stay
– a couple of couchsurfing requests accepted in Amman, Wadi Rum, Irbid, Aqaba, and Zarqa (I messaged to my hosts before my departure to Jordan as I knew I wouldn’t have time for messages during my stay in Jordan)
– a collaboration with a Bedouin Camp in Dana Biosphere Reserve: I wrote for them on this blog in exchange for free accommodation and trekking in the area. I’ve described their services and base camp in the diary about the Dana Biosphere Reserve.
Jordan Travel Planning – Intentions, but nothing fixed
When I left for Jordan, I wanted to do/to go to the following places but I hadn’t fixed dates for them:
– do some short treks in some of the Jordanian most important reserves:
- Dana Biosphere Reserve (Rumana Mountain Trail, Wadi Dana Trail)
- Wadi Musa – Petra (High Place of Sacrifice to Petra City Center, Wadi Muthlim, Umm al-Biyara, and maybe Jebel Haroun)
- Wadi Rum (trails – a must with camels: to the Seven Pillars of Wisdom, Makharas Canyon, Lawrence’s Spring, Al Hassany Dunes, Alameleh inscriptions, Rock Bridge, Khazali Siq Canyon, Barrah Canyon)
- Wadi Mujib (Siq Trail)
- a trail in Ajloun ForestReserve
– have a bath in the Red Sea and one in the Dead Sea
– go to at least one local hamam and to one swimming pool with water from natural springs (Hammamat Burbita or Hammamat Afra, near Madaba)
Jordan Travel Planning – Final Result:
The final result of my trip to Jordan, where I stayed for five weeks, is a series of ……….. travel diaries, which you can read at the following links.
Jordan Travel Planning – Current Stare:
I am currently in ….. (updated ……. 2017)
Want to subscribe to my travel diaries? Just leave your email in the subscription form below and you’ll be notified when I publish a new travel diary.